In a suspected case of food poisoning, 48 students of a women’s college in Chennai fell ill after having dinner at their hostel on Sunday night.
One of the students claimed to have found a dead lizard in the food.
The students of Quaid-e-Millath Government College for Women were rushed to Government Hospital in Royapettah when they complained of uneasiness and nausea after having idli for dinner at their hostel mess.
While four of them had diarrhoea, the rest had nausea because of anxiety,” said hospital’s resident medical officer Dr Anand Pratap.
He said one of the students complained of finding a dead lizard in the food.
On Monday morning, two teams from the Chennai Corporation and the state food safety department inspected the campus and collected samples for testing.