Baghdad, Sep 14 (IANS) At least 50 people, including three Iranian pilgrims, have lost their lives in twin car bomb and gun attacks striking the countrys southern province of Dhi Qar.
Jasim al-Khalidi, a senior health official, said more than 87 people had sustained injuries in the attacks, one of which occurred close to a restaurant near the city of Nasiriyah, situated about 370 km southeast of the capital, Baghdad, on Thursday afternoon, Press TV reported.
He added that the death toll could rise due to the critical condition of some of the wounded.
Iraqi Interior Ministry Spokesman Saad Maan also said a car bomb in the same area targeted a security checkpoint shortly afterwards.
There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the deadly attacks, but such assaults bear the hallmarks of those carried out by the Islamic State.
According to the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), a total of 125 Iraqi civilians lost their lives, and 188 others were injured as a result of terrorist attacks and other acts of violence across Iraq in the month of August.
The UN mission, however, did not mention the number of Iraqi police forces, who were killed or sustained injuries during last month’s acts of violence.
A large number of the fatalities were recorded in the capital province of Baghdad, where 45 civilians were killed and 135 others wounded during the same period.
Iraqi army and pro-government fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units, commonly known as Hashd al-Sha’abi, are engaged in joint operations to win back militant-held areas of the country.
Iraq’s Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said on August 31 that the northern city of Tal Afar and the entire Nineveh province had been purged of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
The recapture of Tal Afar was made possible with the help of the Iraqi army, Federal Police, counter-terrorism units, volunteer troops, and Rapid Response Forces, Abadi added.
Post Source: Ians feed