performed at Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai Central
- Across blood group is not very rare but happening only at selected centres of India
- Transplant add life to years and years to life compared to dialysis, says Dr Chandan
A team lead by Dr M M Bahadur Head, Department of Nephrology, successfully performed renal kidney transplant surgery with across blood group on 60-year-old patient at Wockhardt Hospital Mumbai Central. Although Paired Exchange Kidney Donation is increasing worldwide, we in India have not nearly reached the estimated potential of this modality.
A 60-year-old Mr. Natwar (Name Changed) with complaints of kidney problem visited Wockhardt Hospital Mumbai Central for a kidney transplant. Mr. Natwar family were little confused as the patient’s wife blood group was incompatible to him and she was the only donor to him. Wife blood group was AB positive whereas patient blood group was A positive. Dr Bahadur, Dr Chandan and team accordingly prepared patient for transplant with pre-operative evaluation including coronary angiography to avoid any complications. Also, donor was evaluated with fitness for surgery and another test. Dr gave rituximab injection to suppress the anti-blood group to anti bodies. They did plasmapheresis to take out preformed antibody against different blood group. Once we had acceptable titres of anti-blood group antibodies then transplant was performed. We already performed similar 6 cases of ABO incompatible here with one lady having titres of more than 2048. The kidney transplant was performed in month of February 2019. He had an excellent post-transplant recovery and surgery was uneventful.
Dr Chandan Chaudhari from Department of Nephrology at Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai Central says “A PAIRED KIDNEY EXCHANGE, also known as a “SWAP TRANSPLANT” occurs when a living kidney donor is incompatible with the recipient, and so exchanges kidneys with another donor/recipient pair. However this may not exercise if recipient is blood group O positive. Across group is not very rare but happening only at selected centers of India. Looking at 5-year survival rates on dialysis, Transplant add life to years and years to life compared to dialysis”
Mr Natwar patients says, “With the guidance of Dr Chandan Chaudhari we came to know about how cross blood group helped me and my wife for transplant. Now I am doing well.”
Information about blood type and recipient for understanding:
Donors with blood type A… can donate to recipients with blood types A and AB
• Donors with blood type B… can donate to recipients with blood types B and AB
• Donors with blood type AB… can donate to recipients with blood type AB only
• Donors with blood type O… can donate to recipients with blood types A, B, AB and O (O is the universal donor: donors with O blood are compatible with any other blood type)
• Recipients with blood type O… can receive a kidney from blood type O only
• Recipients with blood type A… can receive a kidney from blood types A and O
• Recipients with blood type B… can receive a kidney from blood types B and O
- Recipients with blood type AB… can receive a kidney from blood types A, B, AB and O (AB is the universal recipient: recipients with AB blood are compatible with any other blood type)