Following a recent spate of acid attacks, the UK government has promised new measures to tackle the issue, including urging courts to impose life sentences where appropriate, or seeking age checks for those buying corrosive substances.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd announced the move in the aftermath of the latest acid attack to hit the streets in London, in which five men were attacked over a 70-minute period on Thursday.
“I am clear that life sentences must not be reserved for acid attack survivors,” she said in a statement.
Proposals to ensure acid and other corrosive substances can be classed as dangerous weapons are among the changes included in the shake-up.
The most high profile of the recent acid incidents came on Thursday night last week, when five people were targeted in north and east London in less than 90 minutes in what police suspect were connected attacks.
The Home Office said it would work with police and the Ministry of Justice to assess whether powers available to the courts, including sentencing, were sufficient.
A 16-year-old boy has been charged with 15 offences, including grievous bodily harm and possession of an item to discharge a noxious substance.