A suicide bomber rammed a vehicle filled with explosives into a convoy of foreign forces on Wednesday in Afghanistan’s southern province of Kandahar, officials said.
“At around noon a car bomb targeted a convoy of foreign forces in Daman area of Kandahar,” said provincial police spokesman Zia Durrani.
NATO confirmed in a statement that the convoy was attacked and did “cause casualties”.
Resolute Support did not identify the nationality of the troops attacked, nor if they were killed or injured.
Taliban spokesman, Qari Yosuf Ahmadi, claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it took place near an Afghan intelligence quick reaction force base in the Shor Andam area of Daman district.
This is the latest attack to rock southern Kandahar province, which borders Pakistan, in recent months.
At least 26 Afghan soldiers were killed and 13 more wounded last week in a Taliban attack on an army camp in the province’s Khakrez district, the Afghan Ministry of Defense said.
An explosion in January at a provincial government compound killed at least 11 people, including Kandahar’s deputy governor, and injured 14 more, authorities said. Five Emirati humanitarian workers were among those killed, and the Emirati ambassador to Afghanistan was injured.
The combined US and NATO troop contingent currently in Afghanistan is about 13,500 troops.
The Trump administration is deciding whether to send about 4,000 or more US soldiers to Afghanistan in an attempt to stem Taliban gains.
The attack came as Afghan authorities in western Herat province tightened security ahead of a mass funeral for the victims there of an attack on Wednesday that killed 29 and left 64 people wounded, 10 of whom are in a critical condition.