Cancer treatment in Ayurveda is very in-depth and holistic. Ayurveda treats the disease according to the specific nature of the patient, the aggravated body energies involved and the body tissues that are affected. Cancer treatment in Ayurveda does not only focus on the area of the malignancy but on the entire system, as the whole organism must be returned to harmony for the disease to be treated permanently and not recur elsewhere. The body must be purified of the toxins that cause the cells to attack the body. Treatment includes the administration of blood cleansing herbs along with the adoption of a detoxifying diet. Circulatory stimulant herbs are also prescribed to promote circulation, shift stagnation of the blood, increase the efficient elimination of toxins and assist in healing the tissues. Immunity restoring herbs and minerals are given to boost the strength of debilitated patients.
A crucial part of cancer treatment in Ayurveda is relaxation of the mind. Suppression of emotion or emotional stagnation is a significant causative factor and obstacle to effective treatment of this condition. The patient needs to heal themselves at the very deepest level of their individuality. Meditation, counseling, yoga, pranayama and the studying of spiritual philosophy are all recommended for support in this aspect of personal healing.
The holistic methods of Ayurveda for cancer treatment include:
- Abstinence from food and lifestyle that cause tridosha (vata, pitta, kapha) imbalance.
- Eliminating toxins through Panchakarma.
- Restoration of healthy jatharagni (digestive power) functions.
- Rejuvenation through rasayanas.
- Ayurvedic preparations can act as an adjuvant or a co-therapy along with chemotherapy or radiotherapy. – It is also helpful in post-surgery care.
- Ayurvedic medicines help to minimize the side effects of these therapies.
Diet and Lifestyle Advice
- Eat a diet that is rich in natural cancer-fighting chemicals and helpful in boosting immunity.
- Eat easily digestible food to avoid toxin accumulation in the body.
- Reduce sugar intake.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Avoid high-fat foods, especially from animal sources.
- Panchakarma therapy is beneficial in cancer.