Bhanu Pratap Singh Verma is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Jalaun in the state of Uttar Pradesh (UP). Bhanu Pratap is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, he defeated his nearest rival Brijlal Khabri of Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) by a margin of more than 2,80,000 votes. Throughout his political career, Bhanu Pratap has worked for the betterment of communities belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. He has made efforts to fight against social evils and has been associated with a wide variety of literacy and family welfare programs initiated by the government.
Early Life and Education
Bhanu Pratap Singh Verma was born on July 15, 1957 to Shri Sumer Verma and Smt. Sumitra Verma. He was born in Konch, which is a small city located in Jalaun District of Uttar Pradesh. Bhanu Pratap’s educational qualifications include M.A., LL.B. and he received his education from B.K.D. College, Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh). He married Ram Murti Verma on February 17, 1972.
- 1991-92: Member, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- 1996 – 1998: Elected to 11th Lok Sabha
- 1998 – 1999: Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 2001: Vice-President, S.C Morcha, B.J.P., Uttar Pradesh; Member, National Council, B.J.P.
- 2004 – 2009: Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha (3rd term)
- 2011 – 2013: President, B.J.P. SC Morcha, Uttar Pradesh
- May, 2014: Re-elected to 16th Lok Sabha (4th term)
- 12 June 2014 onwards: Member, House Committee
- 14 Aug. 2014 onwards: Member, Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
- 1 Sep. 2014 onwards: Member, Standing Committee on Energy; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
Bhanu Pratap Singh Verma dedicates his free time towards social work. He also has interests in music and sports. His favorite sports are marathon and cricket.