Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Saturday , 25 November 2017
Breaking News

Car mows down pedestrians at Times Square

Yesterday, New York’s Times Square had a nightmare when a speeding car mowed down the pedestrians killing 1 person and injuring 22. The U.S Authorities denied it was an incident connected with a terrorist attack and mentioned that the driver was a U.S Navy Veteran who had a criminal record apart from record of drunk driving.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio on the accident referring to the driver who was identified as Richard Rojas, a 26 year resident of Bronx as “He has a criminal history”. He also said “It is a tough day for New York City but as usual the people of New York City will stand firm and will be resilient” before terming the accident as “horrific”.

The Mayor said the security will be beefed up across the city and will get cops from the anti-terror units to intercept any possible terror attacks.

New York Police Commissioner James O’Neill said preliminary information revealed that Rojas had been arrested in the past. He said that detectives are deployed to check whether he had any past criminal history. Rojas has been arrested twice in the past since he drove the vehicle after getting drunk heavily, he said. Rojas was driving a Honda car at a “high rate of speed” around noon along the sidewalk through three streets, hitting pedestrians along the way before coming to a stop after colliding with metal railings at a street corner.

The incident occurred around lunchtime at the crowded Times Square in the heart of Manhattan which is among the most popular tourist destinations in the world.

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top
badge