A 55-year-old woman Urmila Chavan swallowed chicken bone, that got stuck into food pipe for more than 14 hrs. was removed by using noninvasive procedure at Kohinoor Hospital, Kurla.
It was accidental, when she swallowed chicken bone while eating rice & chicken curry. She was given banana to eat, but it didn’t help. Later in the midnight, she felt breathless and had severe throat pain, immediately she was taken to hospital at Ghatkopar, where X-ray was taken. But due to unavailability of doctor, it was not removed at night and she was then shifted to Kohinoor Hospital, Kurla and admitted in the ICU. CT scan of the neck and chest was taken immediately to see the foreign body and to see any signs of esophageal perforation but there was no evidence of esophageal perforation on CT scan neck.
Dr Sanjay Helale, Head of Department, ENT and Head & Neck Surgery at Kohinoor Hospital, Kurla Said “It was a very complicated procedure as bone stuck was sharp on both side and was lying horizontally in the beginning portion of the food pipe. Bone was removed under endoscopic guidance with forceps, Precaution were taken while removing, so that it will not damage food pipe.”
“There were minor mucosal injuries while removing the bone which will be healed in few days after medication” adds Dr Helale.