Confederate statues were removed in Maryland’s Baltimore city on Wednesday following white nationalists rally to defend a downtown Confederate monuments turned deadly in Charlottesville.
Four Confederate monuments were immediately removed after the Baltimore City Council voted unanimously in favour of their removal.
The removal comes as cities and states in the United States are considering taking down Confederate monuments following the clashes at Saturday’s rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, which left one woman dead, reports the CNN.
“I did not want to endanger people in my own city. I had begun discussions with contractors and so forth about how long it would take to remove them. I am a responsible person, so we moved as quickly as we could,” The Baltimore Sun quoted Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh as saying on the removal of statutes.
Earlier, United States President Donald Trump said that both sides of the clashes contributed to the violence which happened in a white supremacists rally in Charlottesville, Virginia over the weekend.
Trump had condemned the violence in Charlottesville saying that “the hatred and division in the America must stop as we are all Americans first.”
“We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides,” he had said during a short statement, adding that he had been closely following terrible events unfolding in Virginia