The World athletic meet which is happening in London had got into another controversy yesterday when Botswana’s Isaac Makwala was refused entry to the London Stadium on Tuesday after earlier being withdrawn from the night’s 400 metres final.
Makwala who is considered as one of the tough challengers to gold medallist Wayde van Niekerk has also been ordered to withdraw from Monday’s opening round of the 200m. Though he was sick, he said that he felt well and wanted to race.
“I arrived at the stadium today ready to run but I found a trap set there and was denied entrance (Government order by the way not IAAF),” he said . “We fought all day for the truth to come out. I still maintain I am not sick and have never been tested by any doctor. I shall rise again.It is well,” he added.
The IAAF issued two statements on Tuesday, the first statement said that Makwala had been withdrawn due to a “medical condition” on the instruction of the “IAAF Medical Delegate”. This claim has been refuted by Botswana’s athletics federation head , Falcon Sedimo, who said there had been no communication from the IAAF and that Makwala had not undergone any medical tests.
“It’s just generalised assumptions because of the outbreak of sickness and he has just one of those symptoms,” he said adding further “There has been no formal communication from the IAAF at all. We found out from the media that he could not take part and he is heartbroken.”
In the second statement, the IAAF said Makwala had been diagnosed with an “infectious disease” following an examination by a doctor in the warm-up medical centre on Monday and said the Botswana team had been informed.