Total Time: 30 mins
Servings: 12 Cookies
- 1/2 Cup, unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup, granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon, pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 Cup, all purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
For the Filling:
- 1/2 Cup, Del Monte Pitted Prunes
- 1/2 Cup, Del Monte Dried Cranberries
- 1 Cup, sugar
- 2/3rd Cup, water
- In a pan, add prunes, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup water. Cook until it reaches thick jam consistency and prunes are soft.
- Take it off the heat and cool. Blend it to a pulse to make the sauce. Set aside.
Make the cookies:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with paddle attachment beat butter on high speed until creamy, for about 1 minute. Switch mixer to medium speed and add sugar and vanilla.
- Add the egg yolk and beat for a minute.
- Add flour and mix well to form a soft dough. Do not knead the dough.
- Press the dough down to compact it and tightly cover with plastic wrap to chill until firm, for at least 1 – 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Shape the cookie dough into balls of equal size, approximately 1 tablespoon of dough per ball.
- Make an indentation with your thumb into each ball. The dough may crack slightly when you press your thumb into it. Simply smooth it out with your fingers.
- Fill one cookie with 1/2 teaspoon of cranberry sauce while the other one with the prune sauce.
- Bake the shortbread thumbprint cookies for 14 -15 minutes, or until very lightly browned on the edges. The cookies will puff up and spread slightly.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
By: Del Monte