- 300 ml of warm water
- 150g chopped dates
- Dark chocolate 100 g
- 3tbsp. milk
- Butter 100g soft
- Brown Sugar 150 g
- Eggs 3
- Plain flour 225 g
- Baking powder 1 tsp.
- Baking soda 1 tsp.
For the toffee sauce
- 275g golden syrup
- 275g light brown sugar
- 100g butter
- 225ml cream
- 1/2tsp. Vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Line the cake tin with baking parchment.
- Soak the dates in warm water.
- Bain Marie the chocolate with milk
- Put the butter in a bowl, and whisk, then add sugar to it, whisk it again till it’s no longer a grainy mixture but a smooth mixture. This is called creaming of butter and sugar.
- Add egg one by one, keep whisking, it will cuddle first but if you keep whisking it will come along.
- Add melted Chocolate to this mixture.
- Also, add the dates along with its water.
- Shift in the flour, baking powder, soda. Gently FOLD IN everything do not whisk now, because if you whisk now you will incorporate lots of air, and you will get a very heavy cake instead of a light and fluffy one.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin, and bake for one hour or until a skewer comes out clean. then let it cool down for 15-20 minutes before taking out of the baking tray.
- For the toffee sauce put everything together in a saucepan and boil for 4-5 minutes.
By: Pallavi Nigam Sahay