Detoxification or detoxication is tis a process of removal of toxins from our body. This function is usually carried out by our liver. So, basically when we are talking about Detox/Detoxication, we are talking about eating a diet that supports and improves the functioning of our liver. The liver is an organ responsible for many important functions in our body such as detoxication of various metabolites, synthesizes proteins, and produces biochemicals necessary for digestion.
Why is detoxication important??
In simple words, Detox is a process through which your body gets rid of waste. If waste builds up, we get sick. The key is in, figuring out how to enhance our body’s capacity to detoxify and get rid of waste while minimizing our exposure to toxins. So, to put it in most simple words, its to prevent the building up of waste in our bodies and to prevent ourselves from any possible sickness.
Detoxification is not about weight loss alone. It’s mainly about helping and supporting your body get rid of all the waste through proper dietary choices. It is beneficial for one and all.
Detoxification and our Skin
Detoxication is extremely important for us in order to have a healthy glowing skin too. When the toxins flush out of the body, the first impact can be seen on the skin quality. Hence, if you are looking for healing your skin in a natural way, go for a healthy diet free of toxins and drink a lot of detox water to flush the already existent toxins out, and work out of course.
Some Tips for Detoxification after the Holi Season
It becomes extremely important to detox the body especially after the festive season, as festive season calls for a lot of unhealthy eating. There is a lot of fried food, Sweets and foods high in Trans Fat are consumed during the festivities. Since, holi calls for a lot of laddoo, samosas, namak pare and not to forget Bhang, a detox later on becomes a must. Detoxification is an excellent way to recover your body from the ill effects of such eating at the right time.
Following are some tips, that can be followed while being on a detox diet-
1) Start your day with a glass full of a detox water. The ones that are naturally healing to one’s health issues are the best ones to begin with. For example, a glass of lemon detox water, cinnamon water, ginger water etc.
2) Resort to Clean and Simple Eating. Eating foods that are simple and not complex. Foods that are not immensely flavored or seasoned. Dishes cooked with least number of ingredients are the best ones to go for.
3) Avoid outside food and Packaged food completely. Packaged drinks, long shelf life food products etc.
4) Drink enough water throughout the day. Keep yourself hydrated and nourished.
5) Go for freshly squeezed vegetable juices over fruit juices.
6) Eat small and frequent meals. This helps in the metabolism working faster, letting the body get rid of many toxins in the process.
7) Eat foods that are good for the functioning of our liver. Such as citrus fruits, berries, Beetroot juice, cruciferous vegetables.
8) Avoid alcohol completely. Also, caffeine should be restricted. Not more than a cup a day.
9) Work out. Follow a regular workout regime. Working out and exercising doesn’t only help in removal of the toxins but also releases certain hormones in the body that promote a healthy body.
10) Stay happy. Eat the right food, exercise the right way, read the right books, hang around with right people, have a good hobby, and invest your time on your self as well.
Also, since Holi calls for a lot of Gulal, abir and synthetic colours on our skin and hair. Go for a nourishing skin home treatments as well. Use organic cosmetics, and oils for body and hair. Give your skin a makeup detox too, which is go makeup free for some days, or resort completely to organic cosmetics.
Looking for a cooling and refreshing detox drink recipe as well.
GREEN VEGETABLE JUICE
- 5-6 Big spinach leaves
- 1 medium apple or ½ large apple
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ glass chilled water
- A sprig of coriander leaves
- A pinch a rock salt
- Blend all the ingredients together in a high speed blender.
- Once the paste is made, add water and blend again.
- Consume immediately.
Nutritive value (per serving):
Calories: 123 Kcal, Protein: 1.6 g, Fat: 1.3 g, Carbs: 26 g
By : Ms. Preety Tyagi, Nutritionist, Lead Health Coach and Founder of My22BMI.