Metabolism, a lot depends on this bodily process from losing weight to keeping us healthy and fit. It is a chemical process that occurs in any living organism to sustain its life. There are different types of benefits and purposes that this complex chemical reaction serves, but the three main are – converting food and drink that we intake into energy for all the body processes, converting the food into various categories for better absorption wherever required like proteins, fats and carbohydrates and finally removing and eliminating all the wastes .
It is said that improved metabolism is central to losing weight and keeping it off permanently. Finding the best ways to improve this metabolic process could be quite challenging, but not at all difficult. Poor metabolism could be because of several factors like lack of good sleep, toxins and other environmental factors, stress and others, but the most important and crucial of all is our diet – the food that we choose to eat and the nutrition the body derives out of it.
So, what could be the best diet to improve metabolism?
Eating your way to improve metabolism is actually true. There are certain foods that improves and speeds up the process of metabolism. The only thing we need to do, is to include them in our regular diet and eat them, so that not only gives us a good metabolism but our body also derives a good amount of nutrients present in these foods.
So, let’s see what this best metabolism improving diet has in offer for us:
- A healthy dose of breakfast
Breakfast is our first meal of the day and a metabolic boosting diet focuses a great deal on it. It helps kick starting the process and keeps us in high energy all through the day. Get some healthy dose of oats with a little fat free milk, eggs, fruits and yoghurt for breakfasts.
- Add good amounts of fiber in the diet
Vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes are to be incorporated in the diet to get more quality fibers. Fiber keep us full and makes our metabolism working all day long and thereby, keeping us active and at the same time helps in losing weight.
- Eat plenty of lean proteins
Human body needs proteins to maintain the tissues and cells and also develop lean muscles. Adding sources of lean protein to the diet like chicken, eggs, vegetables, pulses and grains (especially in the breakfast) keeps us satiated for long period of time and curbs food cravings and is also a great way to boost our metabolism.
- Cut calories but not all
Cutting down all the calories is a good way to lose weight that you will experience initially, but it is not the right approach at all in the long term. What it does is that it slows down our metabolism as our body thinks that it is deprived of calories and starts storing fats for emergency. It makes it the most difficult to lose weight.
Find below some of the effective metabolism boosting foods that we should include in our regular diet:
- Lemons: Are a great source to put our metabolism in speed track. Vitamin C and the enzymes in lemon aids in clearing toxic wastes from the body and ultimately helping metabolic process.
- Green Tea: Green tea has many benefits from improving our metabolic rate to aid in heart health to weight loss and improving our mood.
- Low–Fat Yoghurt: This milk product is not only low in fat and high in calcium, it is a great way to add good bacteria in our body. It helps boosting metabolism and losing weight.
- Hot Peppers: Capsaicin, the hotty factor of peppers are responsible to boost metabolism. It also helps in curbing hunger and control stress.
- Broccoli: This high in fiber and low in calories vegetable is also a good source of calcium and vitamin D and a great metabolism boosting food.
Our genes and age has always been held responsible for our slowing metabolism, but if we take care of our diet and refuel the body’s internal furnace, it solves the purpose. Follow these diet ways and incorporate the mentioned foods in your diet and have a happy metabolism.
By: Dietitian Sheela Seharawat