Estimated to be more than 5,000 years old, the world’s first medicine system known as Ayurveda was remarkably comprehensive in its knowledgebase. Ayurveda texts developed over the years contain detailed information about the human mind and body and related spiritual aspects. Various health issues, their causesandtheir treatment have been clearly defined in Ayurveda. To get an idea about the vast knowledge of Ayurveda, let’s take a look at the eight prominent branches of Ayurvedic treatment.
- Internal medicine (Kaya-chikitsa): This relates to all aspects of the mind, body and soul. It is believed that there are three primary body constituents, Vata (air), Pitta (fire), and Kapha (water) that govern our bodilysystem and imbalance among these leads to health issues. Ayurvedic treatment focuses on finding the root cause of the imbalance, after which excess energies are removed or deficient energies are supplied to regain the balance.
- Ears, Nose, and Throat (Shalakya Tantra): According to Ayurveda guru Sushruta, there are more than 70 Ayurvedic treatment options for diseases of eye, ears, nose and throat.
- Toxicology (Vishagara-vairodh Tantra): Ayurveda describes various types of toxins present in air and water and in other things such as vegetables, minerals, animals, etc. How to identify and neutralize these toxins has also been described in detail.
- Pediatrics (Kaumara Bhritya): All processes, procedures and care instructions related to prenatal and postnatal stages have been discussed in Ayurveda.
- Surgery (Shalya Tantra): Surgical knowledge has been extensively provided in Ayurveda. It is believed that Ayurveda provided the basic platform for surgical knowledge to be adopted throughout the world.
- Psychiatry (Bhuta Vidya): Various diseases of the mind can be cured with Ayurvedic treatment. In most cases, treatment involves a combination of yogic therapies, medicinal herbs and dietarychanges.
- Aphrodisiacs (Vajikarana): Ayurvedic treatment can be effectively used to improve vigor and vitality and boost fertility. It can also be used for spiritual awakening.
- Rejuvenation (Rasayana): Various approaches and treatments have been described that can help prevent diseases and increase longevity. Following an ethical and virtuous approach to life is necessary for longevity.
With such a diverse medicinal knowledgebase, ayurvedic treatment can be used to treat a wide variety of diseases and health issues. Moreover, new research studies are being conducted on a regular basis to improve the efficacy of existing treatment approaches and to find new Ayurvedic treatment and medications. This is proving to be very useful in fighting the threat of new diseases and health issues that humanity is facing in the present era.
By: Dr Sushma tiwary at Ayushmaanbhavah.com , Ahemdabad