$1 million in donations to South Asia and launched fundraising campaign
Today Facebook is donating $1 million to organizations on the ground providing relief and recovery support. Facebook is also launching a fundraising campaign for Save the Children US. All fees will be waived and funds raised will go to support local relief efforts.
- In the wake of the historic flooding in South Asia, we’re seeing an outpouring of support across the Facebook community for those that have been impacted most.
- Facebook is donating $1 million to organizations on the ground providing relief and recovery support.
- Facebook is also launching a fundraising campaign for Save the Children US. All fees will be waived and funds raised will go to support local relief efforts.
- People in India, Nepal and Bangladesh can raise money two ways – all fees will be waived:
- People will see a message at the top of their News Feed with an option to help people affected by the floods, by making a donation to Save The Children.
- People can make donations directly on the Save The Children Facebook Page
More than $10 million raised on Facebook in Harvey’s wake
Across the US, the community has helped raise over $10 million to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey through our charitable giving tools including donations to a number of charitable and personal causes.
A few examples include:
- People raised money for many different nonprofits using Facebook charitable giving tools including the Center for Disaster Philanthropy, The American Red Cross, Houston Food Bank, Austin Pets Alive!, Texas Diaper Bank, Operation BBQ Relief, Texas Rubicon USA, and Greater Houston Community Foundation, among others.
- Facebook contributed a $1 million match and waived fees for donations made through a promotion on Facebook to the Center for Disaster Philanthropy’s (CDP) Hurricane Harvey Recovery Fund. The Facebook community quickly rallied and the match was met in a matter of hours.
Facebook community coming together
We built fundraising tools and tools like Community Help on Facebook to help people everywhere come together and achieve things we couldn’t on our own. Over the past few days since Harvey made landfall, we’ve seen some pretty incredible stories of people helping those in need and saving lives.