A massive fire broke out on the second floor of the Medicine Department of King George Medical College Trauma Center late on Saturday evening.
The center has been evacuated by the hospital staff and the patients have been taken out.No casualties have been reported till now.
“The fire is massive. It is a medicine ward. Property has been destroyed. The complete ward has been evacuated. The patient of the OT have been shifted to the Shatabdi Hospital,” said one of the doctors of the hospital.
Another hospital administrative official said the situation is under control, but there is a lot of smoke in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
“There is no risk on the fifth and the fourth floor. All the patients are safe. Rest of the floors has been evacuated,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh Cabinet Minister Brajesh Pathak said that the Trauma Center caught fire due to short circuit.
“Nearly 150 patients have been shifted to another hospital and all of them are safe. The fire tenders have been able to douse the fire,” he said.
Pathak also assured to probe into the matter and that an action will be taken against the one responsible for this carelessness.
District Magistrate Kaushalraj Sharma clarified that the situation is under control and added that over 150 patients have been admitted to eight other hospitals.
“The fire was set only in one room of a godown, and was contained within that room itself. Presently, it is believed that the cause of the fire is the breaking of an Air Conditioner duct. All the patients have been safely admitted to eight other hospitals, and the water from the AC ducts is being cleaned,” he said.
Sharma also added that a team of fire and electrical safety are looking into the cause of the fire in detail, and are expected to present a report on the same.
Meanwhile, chief secretary, health and education, Anita Bhatnagar confirmed that no casualties were reported, and the fire was doused on time.