Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Tuesday , 11 December 2018
Breaking News

Government to launch 94 new Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalyas

In a welcome move, the central government has said that it will open 94 new Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalyas (KGBV). These will be launched across the country and will cater specifically to girl students coming from minority and disadvantaged sections of the society. Sourced inside the HRD Ministry said that these schools will start functioning by next year. It may be recalled that there are currently 3,703 KGBVs operational across India. The 94 new schools that will be launched next year will provide opportunities to more students to get education. KGBVs are upper primary residential schools and they cater to girl students belonging to SC, ST, OBC categories. These schools also give admission to students coming from other minority and disadvantaged sections of society.

In KGBV schools, 75% of the available seats are reserved for girl students coming from SC, ST, OBC categories besides other minority and disadvantaged sections of society. The rest 25% of the seats is reserved for girl students who belong to families below the poverty line. It may be recalled that the Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya scheme was launched in 2004. At that time, it was launched under the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan program. The primary objective was to provide educational facilities to girl students coming from marginalized communities that lack proper educational facilities.

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top
badge