A man has denied pretending his family died in the Grenfell Tower fire to get almost £10,000 from the victims’ relief fund.
Anh Nhu Nguyen, 52, pleaded not guilty to two counts of fraud by false representation at Southwark crown court in London on Friday.
Nguyen, of Beckenham, south-east London, claimed that he lived in the North Kensington block and his wife and son had died in the blaze, a previous court hearing was told.
He is accused of conning charities and Kensington and Chelsea council out of almost £10,000 by posing as a victim of the disaster for almost two weeks.
Campaigners for the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire say individuals as well as local authorities should be held accountable for the disaster, after police confirmed there are “reasonable grounds” to pursue corporate manslaughter charges.
At least 80 people were killed in the disaster on June 14 when a blaze engulfed a residential tower block in North Kensington, London. To date, only 40 of the victims have been formally identified.
Nguyen was allegedly given a hotel room, clothing, food, electrical items and cash after he went to Westway Sports and Fitness Centre, which had been set up as a relief hub after the fire, claiming to have lost all his possessions, Westminster magistrates court heard last month.
Nguyen, who is not believed to be married or have children, was remanded in custody. His trial is scheduled to start the week beginning 4 December.
Jonathan Polnay, prosecuting, told magistrates last month that Nguyen attended the centre twice to receive help after the blaze.
The Scotland Yard investigation into the fire had concluded there were “reasonable grounds” to suspect the local council, Kensington and Chelsea, and the organisation that managed the tower block of corporate manslaughter.