Hema Malini is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Mathura in the state of Uttar Pradesh. She is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Hema Malini defeated her nearest rival Jayant Chaudhary of Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) by a margin of more than 3 lakh votes. Prior to joining mainstream politics, Hema Malini was a popular film actress. She has also taken up other roles such as that of a classical dancer, film director, film producer, and writer. Hema Malini is also known for her association with social causes such as PETA, which is an animal rights organization.
Early Life and Education
Hema Malini was born on October 16, 1948 to Shri V.S.R. Chakravarti and Smt. Jaya Lakshmi Chakravarti. She was born in Ammengudi, Tricchy (Tamil Nadu). She has completed education up to Matric and received education at Andhra Mahila Sabha, Mylapore, Madras, Tamil Nadu. On May 02, 1980, she married Dharmendra Deol, who was a leading actor at that time.
- 2003 – 2009: Member, Rajya Sabha
- 2004 – 2004: Member, Standing Committee on External affairs
- 2004 – 2006: Member, Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture
- 2004 – 2009: Member, Standing Committee on Empowerment of Women; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
- 2006 – 2008: Member, Standing Committee on Industry
- 2007 – 2008: Member, Sub-Committee III, for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises of the Standing Committee on Industry
- 2008 – 2009: Member, Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture
- 2011 – 2012: Member, Rajya Sabha; Member, Standing Committee on Urban Development
- May, 2014: Elected to 16th Lok Sabha
- 1 Sep. 2014 onwards: Member, Standing Committee on Information Technology; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Tourism and Culture
Hema Malini has interests in Indian arts and culture. She devotes her free time towards things like painting, yoga, reading, photography, and spiritual practices.