Ayurveda is said to be more than 5000 years old and it offers a holistic way to treat a wide variety of diseases and disorders. Ayurveda is very effective in the treatment of skin diseases, with many patients reporting complete cure for their skin problems. The thing about Ayurvedic treatment is that it focuses on eliminating the root cause of the disease. This helps patients achieve compete cure and gain long-term health benefits.
According to Ayurveda, any disease such as skin disease occurs when there is imbalance in the three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. These imbalances in the doshas can be triggered due to various reasons such as:
- When you consume certain foods that are incompatible. For example, having milk and fish in the same meal can lead to imbalance of the doshas.
- When you consume excessive amounts of alcoholic drinks. Even sugary drinks or carbonated beverages can create problems if consumed in excess.
- When you suppress the natural urge to vomit or other similar urges
- When you do heavy physical exercise or walk in extreme heat immediately after a large meal
- When you drink cold water immediately after exposure to extreme sun heat
- When you overeat or consume food too frequently
- When you lie down to sleep immediately after a big meal
- When you have negative thoughts in your mind or ill will against someone
As is evident from above reasons, certain choices that you make can lead to imbalance of the doshas. These imbalances then adversely impact your skin, blood, muscle tissue and other parts and components of your body. Skin diseases can manifest themselves as itching, lesions, discoloration, etc. It is also evident that if you want the Ayurvedic treatment to be effective, you will have to embrace some lifestyle changes. For example, you need to ensure that you are not stressed or anxious. You need to focus on eating a healthy diet that comprises whole grains, lentils, fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds, dairy products, etc.
Ayurvedic treatment for skin diseases will involve a combination of Ayurveda therapies and natural herbs. For example, the Ayurveda doctor may prescribe panchkarma or Ayurveda massage for your skin problems. Certain herbs such as Triphala and Neem are commonly used to cleanse the blood to provide relief from skin problems. Certain herbal preparations can also be applied directly on the affected skin for treatment and relief from symptoms.
Ayurveda treatment for skin problems will depend on the doshas you have and other factors such as your age, health profile, dietary habits, etc. An Ayurveda doctor will carry out a physical examination, based on which,a personalized Ayurvedic treatment plan will be prescribed to treat your skin disease. If you implement the lifestyle & diet changes and take Ayurveda treatment regularly, you will be able to achieve complete cure for your skin problem. Another advantage of Ayurveda is that there are no side-effects or complications. You also gain long-term health benefits that will stay with you for many years to come.