Have you ever experienced losing your voice? It is hard to say it in any word except for leaving you with discomfort. There are many various reasons for this condition such as a cold, sore throat, shouting too much. Today, in this article, we will provide you with some tips on how to get your voice back quickly and effectively.
Why Do You Lose Your Voice?
Losing your voice a common sign after your upper respiratory tract is infected such as:
- Have a flu
- Have a cold
- Viral infections
Other reasons for this condition are included: Shouting, talking or screaming too much.
In most cases, hoarseness or losing your voice will disappear in about a week without any treatment. However, some basic home care is listed below can help you speed your voice recovery as well as reduce your throat discomfort effectively.
How to Get Your Voice Back Quickly After Being Sick
Drink Enough Water (Warm Water)
The best thing to keep your throat healthy is to drink enough water. When you are thirsty, your sore throat will surely become worse, so drinking water regularly but sensibly will help you get back your voice quickly as well as reduce digestive system and improve your skin effectively. You should not also drink cold water because this can lose your voice completely.
Rest your voice
Talking, shouting or singing too much are common causes of losing voice. Therefore, you should talk at normal volume or let your throat as long as possible after singing to prevent hoarseness. Of course, there are also some certain situations you cannot avoid speaking. It is advisable to rest your voice at least a day in advance before your presentation. Keeping a pad or a booklet with you is also the good way to transmit what you want to say in case of losing your voice by accident.
Smoking can cause inflammation and the swollen vocal cords, leading to Laryngitis- one of the common reasons for hoarseness and losing your voice completely. If you are a tobacco addict, it is now a good time to stop smoking. You should also avoid smog, dust, and pollution because these factors can rise inflame your throat tissues.
Warm up your voice with doing yoga
Your voice mirrors your health status, so warm up your body is also help you get back your voice quickly. The best way to warm up your body is to do Yoga, which helps your muscles become more elastic and endurable.
Here is a common and effective exercise to get your muscles working:
- Just sit on the floor and then keep knees bent. You also make sure that they are slightly apart.
- Then place your hands on your knees and stretched out your arms in a straight line.
- Breathe deeply through your nose
- Let the hands on your knees while your fingers spread wide apart and press them firmly.
- Finally, look up and stretch the tongue out to make the “ah” sound from your diaphragm.
Avoid acidic food and beverages
Acidic foods and drinks including tea, chocolate, and citrus fruit can cause acid reflux which makes a sore throat and voice loss worse. Moreover, acidic foods and drinks may harm the lining of the esophagus. The best way to reduce the condition is drinking much warm water.
How to Get Your Voice Back Quickly With Home Treatments
Gargle salt water
One of the tips on how to get your voice back quickly is to gargle salt water. If you have a sore throat, you should ease the condition as well as prevent voice loss by gargling warm salt water four times daily. This home remedy may deal with the throat mucus.
How to do:
- Put half a teaspoon of salt water into ½ glass of warm water
- Then add more a teaspoon of ginger juice optional
- Mix them well and use the mixture to gargle for 3-5 minutes.
- Repeat this 3-4 times every day, especially before your sleep.
Ginger and Honey Remedy
Ginger and honey contain vitamin C and antifungal and antibacterial properties which can help you improve your throat as well as keep voice loss at bay.
How to do:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of ginger juice, 2 teaspoons of raw honey into a glass of hot water
- Sip the beverage when it is still warm
- Repeat this 3-4 times daily until you feel better
Steam Your Head
Steam acts by increasing throat moist to get rid of the throat mucus and warming the body to help you reduce a sore throat, a cold, or a cough. By this way, voice loss can also be prevented.
How to do:
- Put 3 -4 stalks lemon grass, 3-4 slices of ginger, a handful of holy basil, some grapefruit peel, 2-4 drops of peppermint essential oil into a pot of boiling water.
- Remove it from heat
- Put a clean towel over the head in ensure that you get the good amount of steam
- Steam your head for 5-10 minutes
Notes: Never turn on the fan when you are steaming
Other Simple Tips on How to Get Your Voice Back Quickly
- Avoid prolonged exposure to allergens from the surrounding environment
- Eat more dark green fruits and vegetables
- Take frequent warm shower baths
- Drink warm water instead of cold water
Warnings and Precautions
While there are various viral infections which can cause a lost voice, some certain conditions should require medical attention. Specifically, lost voice or hoarseness can be caused by allergies acid reflux disease or even some nervous disorders including Parkinson disease. Therefore, you should see your doctor to get necessary health care if you get these blow symptoms:
- Suffering from laryngitis more than three weeks
- Spots on the tonsils
- Fever and chills
- A sore throat becomes severe pain
- Coughing up blood or severe bouts of coughing
- Swelling on one side of your throat or get a lump in your neck
- Difficulty swallowing, talking or breathing
Nothing is more uncomfortable and frustrating than voice loss. This article provides you with several common tips on how to get your voice quickly after being sick. We hope you follow these tips to get your voice back effectively in action.