Are you suffering from any autoimmune disease such as arthritis, lupus, celiac disease, or thyroid? Then, this is how you must take care of yourself at home, during the lockdown.
Coronavirus has become a matter of concern for India. Hence, people are advised to stay at home. So, if you are suffering from an autoimmune disease then it is time to make sure you stay fit and fine during the lockdown.
One may suffer from an autoimmune disease when one’s immune system tends to mistakenly attack one’s own body. Your immune system fights with bacteria and viruses and stops them from entering the body. The immune system knows the difference between your own cells and foreign cells. But, when speaking about the autoimmune disease, one’s own immune system mistakes one’s part of the body like joint or skin as a foreign by realizing proteins called autoantibodies that attack healthy cells.
Rheumatoid arthritis (can be described as a chronic inflammatory disorder affecting the joints), psoriasis(a skin disease that causes red, itchy scaly patches on the skin), lupus (causes inflammation and pain in any part of the body), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD is an umbrella term used to describe disorders that involve chronic inflammation of the digestive tract), celiac disease (caused by an abnormal immune reaction to gluten) are some of the autoimmune diseases. If you are suffering from any one of them then know how to tackle them at home during the lockdown. But, don’t forget to visit the doctor, if you feel that things are not under control and you may require immediate medical attention.
Follow these vital tips at home to manage your autoimmune disease
· You must take care of your gut. Eat probiotics that have gut-friendly bacteria and can help you manage your autoimmune disease like inflammatory bowel disease.
· To strengthen your immune system, opt for fish oil, foods loaded with vitamin C and D.
· Stay physically fit. Remember to exercise every day for at least half-an-hour to lower your inflammation and boost your immunity and fight arthritis.
· It is no brainer that stress worsens one’s immune response. Thus, it is the need of the hour to practice mindfulness. Try relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation that will calm you down.
· If you have been prescribed any medications then make sure that you take them from time to time. Also, do not forget to stock up your medication.
· Eat foods that lower inflammation of your body. Include anti-inflammatory foods like green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, salmon, mackerel, tuna, olive oil, almonds, walnuts, strawberries, and blueberries. Eating these foods can help you enhance your immunity and fight illness. Limit your consumption of junk, processed, and spicy foods. Doing so can be beneficial for people with arthritis, IBD, psoriasis, or lupus.
By Dr. Dipti Patel, Rheumatologist Consultant, Wockhardt Hospital Mumbai Central