India is a water stressed nation said the Central Government which can sustain just one drought. Some of the facts that is noteworthy under this context are given below:
1. Approx of 56% or 68 crore people depend on ground water.
2. 40.1% or 48.6 crore people receive piped water.
3. Ground water available – 50%
4. Almost half of 640 district’s underwater is contaminated and deaths due to underwater contamination is pegged at 18,000 in the last 7 years.
5. 40% coliform and 60% faecal coliform are the surface water pollution levels.