New study discovers one-off events influence destination decisions more often than affordable flights or hotels
Think travelers choose their next getaway based on cheap hotels? Think again! Klook recently released some surprising research on what motivates travelers to pick a destination and – One-off events have become the more frequent factor than flight or accommodation deals in driving consumers to decide where to go for their holidays.
Based on a 2018 events survey done across 12 destinations worldwide, Klook uncovers a change in a long-time pattern of travelers selecting destinations based on flight and hotel deals. On the contrary, 52% of travelers from India said they planned trips around seasonal activities or one-off events, then booked flights and hotels to round out the itinerary.
Among the respondents, 63% of travelers from Thailand and 58% from Malaysia, 50% of travelers from Singapore said they planned a trip for a specific event or a time-sensitive activity, such as maple leaf-viewing in South Korea, sakura season in Japan, a music festival in the US, a concert in Macau, or a special art exhibition in Singapore.
Answering the demand for one-off events and experiences, Klook offers a curated selection of activities around the world.
– Travelers hoping to partake in a festive celebration can book a customized Bavarian beer experience at Oktoberfest in Munich
-Launch paper lanterns into the inky night sky at the annual Yee Peng Festival in Chiang Mai.
More of an adventurous type?
– Try a Northern Lights journey through the winter wonderland of Rovaniemi, Finland.
– Test your mettle inside this Halloween at Universal Studios Singapore Halloween Horror Nights 8
– Cruise down the powdery slopes outside of Seoul for the VIVA Ski Festival 2018.
– Shutterbugs will want to make a beeline to Busan for an autumn foliage day trip or journey up to Seoul for a picture-perfect day out amidst the radiant fall foliage in Seoraksan National Park.
Once you’ve found your travel inspiration, Klook makes booking events a breeze.
Klook’s 2018 events survey was conducted in August and September 2018 via an independent research company in 12 markets worldwide, including Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Kingdom, the United States and Vietnam. It was conducted among 2,400 respondents who traveled abroad within the past 12 months.