What is Linux VPS Hosting? You might want to consider getting a Linux VPS hosting package if you have a site that gets a lot of traffic. In case, you want more control over the things that are installed on the server where your website is hosted at, a cheap Linux VPS hosting package is also one of your best options.
So, what does Linux VPS stand for?
In simpler terms, Linux VPS stands for a virtual private server running on a Linux system. Actually, a virtual private server is a virtual server hosted on a physical server. If it runs in a host computer’s memory then a server is virtual. A few other virtual servers, in turn, can be run by the host computer.
Benefits of a Linux VPS
You’re not quite ready for the leap to a dedicated server even though your business has outgrown its shared web hosting or Reseller hosting plan. What to do? The answer is Linux VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting.
Since it’s an ideal middle ground between shared hosting and the complexity of a dedicated server, Linux VPS hosting has become very Popular. It’s important to know that Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting is a level above Reseller hosting. At a much lower price, it mimics the control available with a dedicated server.
Several VPS accounts are configured into a server by the web host. A share of the server’s resources are allocated to each VPS account as a minimum performance standard in addition to the use of additional processing resources when they are available. A virtual root access and the ability to configure your virtual server as though you controlled an entire physical server, are given to you by each VPS account. All the power of a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server is given to you.
For management purpose, a VPS account comes with a control panel. It allows you not only to create shared hosting accounts, as with a Reseller account, but also to create and sell Reseller accounts typically.
Benefits of Linux VPS hosting:
- Your VPS account comes with guaranteed server resources. Your account wouldn’t normally be affected by other users on the server unlike shared and Reseller hosting.
- There is higher performed guaranteed as the resources allocated to your VPS account exceed those available to shared and Reseller hosting platform.
- Like on a dedicated server – Root access, providing greater control, more features, and ways to directly access files that are often faster as compared to using the cPanel GUI at times.
- Ability to configure server-wide defaults, such as behavior for directory indexing for all accounts under the VPS.
- Comprehensive support from the web host who creates the VPS and offers you the services. Allowing you to learn at an assisted level before moving to a dedicated server, this helps you concentrate on your own priorities very clearly.
- Personal name servers, are one of the great advantages of VPS or reseller hosting. Instead of using name servers provided by your host, with their name in the domain name, you create name servers tied to your reseller domain or main domain. Making the task of moving to a new server or host far simpler, this is better for branding your business.
- Under the VPS – Skeleton directory, or skel, to configure default files and folder structure to be used for all new accounts. For new cPanel accounts – this directory is used as a template, or skeleton. It is important to note that anything placed in the skeleton directory is automatically copied to the home directory of any new cPanel accounts you create at any time. For the new hosting client, you could, for example – set all new hosting accounts to display a welcome message, your logo and contact information, and links to web hosting help files.
- Options for domain management. To explain – you are able to use both Park and Redirect, depending upon your needs for managing domains.
Managed VPS Hosting as offered by most companies:
Most cheap VPS hosting plans are fully managed by hosting companies with a dedicated support staff available 24×7.
- VPS hosting setup Control panel installation and configuration
- Third party software installation Linux security and hardening
- CMS and Web application installation
- CSF Firewall installation and configuration
- Optimizing web server and fine tuning Database optimization
- Network fine tuning
- Server performance fine tuning
- Security optimization
- Kernel patch updates Malware, virus detection and protection
- Installation of security patches and updates
- Spam protection
- Protection against server black listing for Database and Website security
- Malware removal VPS performance optimization
- VPS migration rDNS setup Hardware and network related issues
- Unlimited ticket, chat and phone support
A VPS account gives us everything we need – for those of us with many domains and sites who require greater configurability. Not being an expensive product to buy, it provides the level of control of a dedicated server. A VPS account is a great transition on the way to a dedicated server for those whose web hosting needs are still evolving toward one day managing a server themselves.
Businesses keep amplifying and to support the increasing web load, VPS hosting solutions give you complete access to customize and upgrade with the growing website. It offers the features of a dedicated server with superior functions of a control panel, managed backup and firewall, mail Servers. VPS hosting serves customers with a feature combination of shared hosting and dedicated server. While gaining maximum out of the platform, it benefits organizations looking to scale up their website as per their own needs, without having to shell out anything extra.