Mahendra Nath Pandey is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Chandauli in Uttar Pradesh. He has also been a Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) in Uttar Pradesh for two terms – 1991-1992 & 1996-2002. Pandey is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Over the years, he has held various key posts in BJP Uttar Pradesh including that of General Secretary, Regional in-charge, and Regional President. By profession, Mahendra Nath Pandey is an agriculturist. This has helped him understand the problems of farmers and work towards finding pragmatic and sustainable solutions. Pandey’s continued success in the assembly and now in the Lok Sabha elections reveals that he shares a good rapport with people and has worked consistently to solve their problems.
Early Life and Education
Mahendra Nath Pandey was born on October 15, 1957 to Shri Sudhakar Pandey and Smt. Chandrawati Pandey. He was born in a village named Pakhapur, which is located in Ghazipur district of Uttar Pradesh. His education qualifications include M.A., Master of Journalism, and Ph.D. (Hindi). He received his education from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. He married Pratima Pandey on February 8, 1985.
- 1991-1992 & 1996-2002: Member, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly (Two terms)
- 1991 – 1992: Secretary, Bharatiya Janata Party State Legislature, Uttar Pradesh
- 1997: Minister of State, Housing & Urban Development, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- 1998 – 2000: Minister of State (Independent Charge) Planning, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- 2000 – 2002: Minister of State (Independent Charge) Panchayati Raj, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- May, 2014: Elected to 16th Lok Sabha
- 1 Sep. 2014 – 5 July 2016: Member, Standing Committee on Rural Development; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Steel and Mines
- 03 Dec. 2014 – 5 July 2016: Member, Business Advisory Committee; Member, Committee of Parliament on Official Language
- 5 July 2016 onwards: Union Minister of State, Ministry of Human Resource Development
Mahendra Nath Pandey is an avid reader and has read many books and other published works. In his spare time, Pandey likes to listen to classical music and old songs. In sports, one of his favorites is chess.