The pelvis of a woman is comprised of fallopian tubes, ovaries, cervix and uterus and any kind of infection is known asPelvic Inflammatory Disease or PID. It is an infection that can affect the female reproductive organs. It is a very common situation that touches women and there are numerous bacteria that can cause pelvic inflammatory diseases. It usually starts when the bacteria enters the vagina and cause an infection and it gradually reaches the pelvic area in the body of the women.
Symptoms for Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases:
It is not essential that one may have symptoms that replicate pelvic inflammatory disease. In some cases, women do complain about some of the following symptoms:
– Irregular bleeding or bleeding between periods is also an indication. Do not ignore these signs if you are experiencing.
– One may experience pain in the lower or upper abdomen. The excruciating, throbbing or recurring pain can indicate this problem
– Increased vaginal discharge with foul smell is always a reason for concern.
– Many people having problems in their pelvis complain of having pain during intercourse
– Several women having pain during urination can have a pelvic inflammatory disease. It is always good to root the problem if you are having painful urination.
Diagnosis of the Condition
It is essential to pay attention to these indications and your doctor may ask you to undergo few tests if he or she suspects pelvic inflammatory disease. Some of the tests to detect pelvic inflammatory disease are laparoscopy, pelvic examination, pelvic ultrasound, cervical culture or Urine Test.
Pelvic inflammatory disease can be cured if it is spotted on time. Women can easily recover from it. If it is not treated on time it may result in other issues such as:
- Infertility – Pelvis region is the area where the fertilization takes place. Any kind of shortfalls in the uterus, ovaries or fallopian tubes can cause Infertility. It is very important for the prospective parent to check for Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases before they are trying to conceive.
- Ectopic Pregnancy – This is a type of pregnancy in which the fertilized egg implants outside the uterus because of the divergences in the pelvic region. It is very essential to take care of yourself to avoid this condition.
- Chronic pelvic pain – Pelvic inflammatory diseases can cause intense or chronic pain in the pelvis.
Treatment for pelvic inflammatory disease:
In case of pelvic inflammatory diseases, they can be treated through medications recommended by your doctor. If one is sick, expecting or have a boil in the pelvis then they should instantly inform doctor their doctor about the same. Men are carriers of the bacteria that cause such infection and it can be passed on to others through sexual contact. So, it is vital for women to pay attention if they come across any of the above-mentioned symptoms. If the symptoms are severe and the infection has spread to the bloodstream then it can lead to life-threatening situations.
In conversation with Dr. Rita Bakshi, Senior Gynaecologist and IVF Expert, International Fertility Centre.