Jaipur, July 18 (IANS) The Rajasthan government has accepted the demand for a CBI inquiry into the shootout-death of gangster Anandpal Singh leading to the Rajput community calling off its proposed July 22 agitation.
Anandpal Singh was killed in a gunfight with the Special Operations Group (SOG) of the Rajasthan Police on June 24 which led to massive protests in the state in which one person was killed and 33 others, including 30 policemen, injured.
“We will recommend that a CBI inquiry be conducted into the encounter of Anandpal Singh,” state Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria said at a press conference here on Tuesday.
Rajput community leaders, meanwhile, have called off their demonstration which was to be held here on July 22 during the visit of BJP’s national President Amit Shah from July 21 to July 23.
“Majority of our demands, including that of a CBI inquiry, have been accepted by the government so we have decided to not to have demonstration on July 22,” Giriraj Singh Lotwara, President of the Rajput Sabha and senior Rajput community leader, told IANS.
Earlier on July 12, a demonstration held in Sanwarda village, the village Anandpal belonged to, in Nagaur district, had turned violent in which 33 persons were injured and one person was killed.
Calling it a political conspiracy, the family of Anandpal has alleged that he was “killed” despite being ready to surrender.
Meanwhile, former Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot in a series of tweets questioned the delay in suggesting a CBI probe.
“State government has now been compelled to accept the demand of CBI probe of Anandpal incident under public pressure. Why did they delay the decision for so long? Was the BJP government waiting for disruption of peace in the state,” Gehlot tweeted.
“If the BJP government had accepted the demand earlier then innocent people would not have died. The CM must tell the public, who is responsible for these deaths?”
“The government’s adamant attitude over the entire incident is condemnable.”
Post Source: Ians feed