Managing Director, Wonderchef Home Appliance Pvt. Ltd
Ravi Saxena is an entrepreneurial CEO and a builder of businesses. Ravi is an MBA from IIM-Ahmedabad, India’s finest management institute, and one of the best in the world. He accomplished his Electronics Engineering Degree from the prestigious Delhi Institute of Technology. He has had 15 years of his 20 years of experience as CEO and MD of major Multinational Organizations in India. He has a track record of launching new concepts and taking them to success.
Having built 11 distinct businesses from scratch, in services sector, he has a solid grip on launching businesses, growing them and creating shareholder value. He has extensive global exposure and has participated in projects and workshops in over 35 countries across 5 continents. Ravi’s passion is Sales, Marketing, Projects and Business Strategy supplemented by strong financial skills and clear HR perspective. He is focussed on execution and is fond of leveraging technology for creating differentiators in the marketplace. He believes in matrices driven quality approach to bring most reliable services to clients, customers and business partners.
Currently Ravi runs his own business in Retail and Management Education. He is the Indian partner of the prestigious Italian University, Bocconi and has recently launched a top-end Business School in Mumbai.
Prior to this, he has an extensive experience spanning 18 years in Services, Hospitality, Consumer Products and Retail Industry, topped with a stint in Private Equity.
Ravi built the Indian business of Sodexo, the 20 billion USD French MNC. As Sodexo’s First employee in India in 1994, Ravi led Sodexo India as the CEO and MD of the company, created a team of over 20,000 people and launched 5 unique businesses in the country over a 12-year career with the organisation. Services like Sodexo Meal Vouchers, Gift Vouchers and Food Services have revolutionized life at work in thousands of organisations in India.
In July 2006, Ravi joined Dubai Based Retail Group – Landmark and launched their Retail Hospitality arm – Citymax with 5 verticals. He built a top-notch team of over 2000 professionals within the 2 years and created exciting partnerships with leading brands to support the expansion of the business. During this period he brought brands like Gloria Jeans Coffees and Fun City to India. He also created a master franchise of Yellow Chilli restaurants by Chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
- His values and philosophy in life
- Ravi has always believed in innovation and execution. Whether it is creation of India’s first luggage with a built-in Trolley, or the launch of innovative Sodexo Vouchers, or new concept like Fun City, or the first self-service Coffee Chain of India, Ravi has always taken challenges head on, devised innovative and effective ways to market these solutions, built operational organisations around them and executed to the hilt.
- Journey as an entrepreneur – milestones achieved
- After having set up 10 businesses from scratch for large MNC organisations, Ravi decided to follow his heart and became an entrepreneur. It was a difficult choice considering that it meant giving up CEO position in MNC firms. Going back to the garage office after heading teams of over 20,000 people was mentally demanding. However, years of training in building new businesses came to good use Step by step approach was taken to lay each brick, to keep the spirits high everyday. 4 years down the line, there are two excellent projects in full bloom – Wonderchef and MISB Bocconi.
- Start up story of MISB – challenges & achievements
- Bocconi is a globally renowned University of economics and management. The MBA program of Bocconi is amongst the top ranked in the world. It also has a dual-degree program with IIM Ahmedabad. Bocconi, after being extremely successful in Italy for the last 110 years, was looking to expanding internationally. At the same time Ravi was looking for a good university to provide quality business education in India. After 3 years of planning and effort, the Post Graduate Program in Business was structured as MISB Bocconi. Located in Mumbai, it provides highest quality education and exposure to carefully chosen candidates.
- Start up story of Wonderchef – challenges & achievements
- Wonderchef started as a shared dream between Ravi and Chef Sanjeev Kapoor. The dream was to work closely with Indian homemakers, who have the skill of cooking with them, and enable them to generate credible level of income with this skill. For the customers, the objective of Wonderchef was to enable them to cook tasty meals without any compromise on health. With this vision Wonderchef started getting world’s best brands of cookware and appliances to India, and marketing them to Indian customers. The unique way is to marry each product with Chef Sanjeev Kapoor’s recipes, train the sales teams in this and sell through demonstration of usage of these products. Within 3 years Wonderchef products have become a household name selling in over 3000 cities and towns of India. Homemakers are investing in quality for the sake of better health of their families.
- His vision for Wonderchef
- Wonderchef is a family of its employees, partners and customers. Our shared vision is to grow in an inclusive manner to empower women in India by enabling them to create their own business and cook healthy for their families.
- Personal background – age, current portfolio, family details, hobbies
- 43 years
- Wife and 2 kids, 16 and 13
- Playing tennis, badminton, squash. Writing blogs. Ravi is fond of traveling and unraveling learning through various cultures. He has had the opportunity of visiting over 60 countries resulting in a rich perspective.