- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar cup
- 1/3 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium-sized bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, in halves or large pieces
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 1800C. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, or coat it with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, brown sugar and oil and blend with a fork or whisk until smooth. Add the mashed banana, eggs and vanilla and stir or whisk again until completely mixed. Stir in the walnuts. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Stir them together for a minute, using a fork or whisk, so they well mixed. Add to the banana mixture and stir just until the wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly combined, with no streaks of unblended flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake about 1 hour, then test for doneness: A wooden skewer or sharp knife inserted into the centre of the loaf should come out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs on it, but no raw batter. If necessary, bake about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then turn the loaf out and onto a rack cool to room temperature. Store in a sealed plastic bag or container. The bread can also be well wrapped and frozen.