A consistent performer
Santosh Gangwar is an Indian politician belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and a Member of Parliament from Lok Sabha. He is one of the prominent leaders of BJP and possesses extensive experience in his field, having worked in the political mainstream for over three decades. He has been winning from the Bareilly Lok Sabha seat since 1989 (except 2009), something that substantiates his candidature as a true leader.
Santosh Gangwar is also an able administrator, as can be seen from his immense contributions towards the establishment of the Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd. in Bareilly in 1996. He was appointed as the chairman of the bank since its inception. Gangwar has consistently focused on the development of his constituency and welfare of its people. He played an important role in the overall development of villages in Bareilly by launching a unique project under the Integrated Rural Development program. Some of the other development projects in Bareilly that can be attributed to him include Chopula railway over bridge, mini bye pass and a state-of-the-art library in Bareilly cantonment.
Early Life and Education
Santosh Gangwar was born in Chaudhary Mohalla, Bareilly (Uttar Pradesh) on November 1, 1948 to Ram Lal Gangwar and Sheela Devi Gangwar. His academic qualifications include B.Sc. and LL.B. and he received his education from Agra University and Rohilkhand University, Bareilly (Uttar Pradesh). He married Saubhagya Gangwar on March 1, 1975.
Santosh Gangwar has been active in politics since the days of the Emergency, when he was jailed for leading a people’s movement against the then government. He has been an important BJP leader since several years.
- 1989 onwards: Member, State Working Committee, Bharatiya Janata Party (B.J.P.),Uttar Pradesh
- 1989: Elected to 9th Lok Sabha
- 1991: Re-elected to 10th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1991-96: Whip, B.J.P. Parliamentary Party
- 1996: Re-elected to 11th Lok Sabha (3rd term)
- 1996 onwards: General Secretary, B.J.P., Uttar Pradesh
- 1998: Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (4th term)
- 1998-99: Union Minister of State, Petroleum and Natural Gas with additional charge of Parliamentary Affairs
- 1999: Re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha (5th term)
- 2004: Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha (6th term)
- Chief Whip, Bharatiya Janata Party in Lok Sabha
- May, 2014: Re-elected to 16th Lok Sabha (7th term)
- 27 May 2014 – 9 Nov. 2014: Union Minister of State, (Independent Charge), Ministry of Textiles; Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs; Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation
- 9 Nov. 2014 – 5 July 2016: Union Minister of State, (Independent Charge), Ministry of Textiles
- 5 July 2016 onwards: Union Minister of State, Ministry of Finance
Santosh Gangwar is actively involved in a wide variety of social welfare projects.