Satyapal Singh is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Baghpat in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Satyapal Singh is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Satyapal Singh defeated his nearest rival Ghulam Mohammed of Samajwadi Party by a margin of more than 2 lakh votes. The Baghpat seat was the stronghold of Ajit Singh from Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) party, who had previously won it for three consecutive terms and six times overall. However, in the 2014 elections, he too was defeated and came at third place. This was considered a significant achievement for Satyapal Singh, as he did not have any prior political experience. He joined active politics in 2014 when he took voluntary retirement from police services. Satyapal Singh retired as the police commissioner of Mumbai in 2014.
Early Life and Education
Satyapal Singh was born on November 29, 1955 to Ch. Ramkishan and Smt. Hukmwati. He was born in a village called Basauli, which is located in Baghpat district. His educational qualifications include M.Sc., M. Phil (Chemistry); M.A., Ph.D. (Public Administration); M.B.A. (Strategic Management). He received his education from Meerut University, University of Delhi and University of Wollongong, Australia. Singh joined the Indian Police Service (IPS) and became a Maharashtra cadre I.P.S officer of the 1980 batch. He married Alka Singh on March 14, 1982.
- 2006-2014: Commissioner of Police, Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur; Additional D.G.P., Law & Order and Establishment, Maharashtra State; Also worked in C.B.I., Delhi
- May, 2014: Elected to 16th Lok Sabha
- 30 July 2014 onwards: Member, JPC on Security of Parliament House Complex
- 1 Sep. 2014 onwards: Member, Standing Committee on Home Affairs
- 2 Sep. 2014 onwards: Member, Joint Committee on Salaries and Allowances of Members of Parliament; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Rural Development, Panchayati Raj and Drinking Water and Sanitation
- 11 Dec. 2014 – 19 July 2016: Member, Joint Committee on Offices of Profit; Vice-President, Uttar Pradesh, Bharatiya Janata Party; Member, U.P. State Minorities Committee
- 19 July 2016 – 3 Sept. 2017: Chairperson, Joint Committee on Offices of Profit
- 3 Sept. 2017 onwards: Union Minister of State, Ministry of Human Resource Development; and Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation
Satyapal Singh is a multi-faceted personality, having acquired various skills during his career. Apart from his police and political career, Satyapal Singh has written various books on varied topics such as science and spirituality, crime, corruption, naxalism, etc. He has also written various papers and articles for magazines and newspapers. In sports, he likes shooting, volleyball, and athletics. He also practices yoga.