New Delhi, Sep 18 (IANS) The Supreme Court will hear on September 22 (Friday) a CBI plea that challenges the Madras High Court order staying the lookout notice against Karti Chidambaram — son of former Finance Minister P. Chidambram — and others.
The High Court order was later stayed by the apex court.
The bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice D.Y. Chandrachud decided to hear the matter on September 22, as senior counsel Kapil Sibal appearing for Karti Chidambram urged the bench to hold an early hearing as he has to go abroad in connection with his work.
In the last hearing on September 11, the top court had directed the listing of matter for today (Monday) for final disposal.
In the last hearing, when the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) indicated that Karti Chidambram had 25 properties abroad, the latter denied it and told the court that the Centre should disclose any overseas assets held by him or his family and seize the same.
“My father, mother, wife and myself are income tax payees. If the government or its agencies can tell we have these properties, we will execute decrees in their favour and the government can take their possession,” Karti Chidambaram had said.
Karti Chidambram had said this in the last hearing, as Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta, appearing for the CBI, produced in a sealed cover what he said were details of properties allegedly linked to Karti Chidambaram.
ASG Mehta had said the information about these overseas assets had surfaced in the course of his questioning by the agency.
The investigating agency had issued the lookout circular against Karti Chidambram, as a result he could not leave the country pending investigations.
The investigation relates to alleged irregularities in Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) clearance to INX Media when P. Chidambaram was the Finance Minister in the United Progressive Alliance government.
Karti Chidambaram had on September 14 refused to appear before the CBI for further questioning. His lawyer Arun Natarajan in a communication to the agency stated that he would not present himself for questioning, saying a special court had already discharged all the accused in the matter.
Post Source: Ians feed