Singapore Airlines is reviewing the serving of nuts on board its flights, following an incident last week when a toddler had an allergic reaction to peanuts eaten by other passengers.
The three-year-old boy, Marcus, was with his parents Chris and Hong Daley on SQ217 from Singapore to Melbourne last Wednesday (July 12) when the incident occurred.
Marcus Daley suffered a severe allergic reaction after passengers around him opened their snack packets of peanuts.
He went into anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening condition which can be triggered by food including peanuts and shellfish.
He was travelling with his parents to Melbourne after a holiday in Thailand.
His father Chris Daley, a doctor specializing in respiratory issues, told the Australian Broadcast Corporation that his son received a special nut-free meal but quickly became severely ill when others were eating their nuts.
“He started vomiting, his eyes were starting to swell and he couldn’t speak properly,” Mr Daley said, adding that the family was less than an hour into their seven-hour flight home.
Marcus suffers from anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction that can typically be caused by certain food, medication, or insect bites and stings.
Currently, customers with nut allergies can request for a nut-free meal at the point of booking or at least 48 hours before their flight,” the airline said.“
Following the incident, we are reviewing the serving of nuts on board our flights.”