Welcomes Govt. move on Visa on Arrival
K. Syama Raju, Managing Director, Hotel Maurya Bangalore was re-elected President of South Indian Hotels and Restaurants Association (SIHRA) at the 63rd Annual General Meeting held in Chennai recently. Mr. T. Nataraajan, CEO, GRT Hotels and Resorts was re-elected Hony. Secretary for the year 2014 – 2015.
Speaking at the 63rd AGM, Mr. K. Syama Raju said that the Hospitality Industry faced a fall in mid 2013, with GDP growth slipping to 5% that fiscal year. The Government of India’s move on offering Visa on Arrival (VoA) facility to US tourists, meant only for recreation, sightseeing and casual visits, will boost the Tourism and Hospitality Industry in India particularly in south, thereby ensuring growth for the Hotel industry.
“Initially, in January 2010 VoA scheme was introduced for citizens of five countries and now, the facility is available for citizens of 11 countries — Finland, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, Myanmar, Indonesia and South Korea. If more countries are included, the potential for growth increases manifold” said Mr. Raju
Mr. Raju added, “With the economy showing signs of fast growth and the sentiment being very positive, we hope that the year 2014-15 will be good for the hotel industry both from International tourists and domestic travelers, bringing in the much needed revenue for this important industry”
He also stressed that Hotels and Hospitality sector should be classified as an Industry since it brings in sizeable revenue and offers job opportunities directly and indirectly to lakhs of people.
Mr T. Nataraajan, Hony. Secretary added that they were very happy to welcome the new state of Telangana into the SIHRA fold which makes it five (TN, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra and Telangana).
The following were elected as Vice Presidents:
- Mr. K Murali Rao, Managing Director, New Woodlands Hotel – Vice President for Tamil Nadu & Pondicherry
- Mr. Subir Bhowmick, Director Projects, Taj GVK Hotels and Resorts Ltd. Hyderabad Vice President for Andhra Pradesh
- Mr. Suresh Pillai, Director, Hotel Horizon, Trivandrum, Vice President for Kerala
- Mr. K Nagaraju, Director, The Atria Hotel, Bengaluru, Vice President for Karnataka.
The following were elected Executive Committee members
1. Mr. R. Srinivasan, MD , Radha regent Chennai
2. Mr. Balakrishna Reddy, Director, Bliss Hotels Limited, Tirupati
3. Mr. Prabhu Shankar, Director, Ashraya International Hotel, Bengaluru
4. Mr. G V Krishnaiah, President , AP Hotels Association , Hyderabad
5. Dr. M. Venkadasubbu, , President of Tamil Nadu Hotels Association
6. Mr. Venkataramana Babu, New Woodlands Hotel, Chennai
7, Mr. D Srinivasan, Director, Sree Annapoorna Sree Gowrishankar Hotels Pvt. Ltd.
8. Mr. D V S Soma Raju, Katriya Hotel , Hyderabad