Humans are mainly regulated by the release of hormones from the endocrine glands present in our body. Any imbalance in the required amount of hormone can be troublesome resulting in several symptoms like hair loss, hot flushes, pimples, obesity, excessive sweating, metabolic disorders, etc. The disparity in the level of hormones is mainly caused due to mental stresses, genetic or birth defects and many more like it. Let me list down for you some of the major hormonal issues that affect Modern Generation.
Starting with Hyperthyroidism caused due to hypersecretion of the Thyroxin hormone by the Thyroid gland. Symptoms that follow are:
- a) There is an excess level of mental and physical excitation.
- b) The body becomes more intolerant to heat.
- c) Excessive weight loss and irregularity of menstrual cycle.
- d) Nervousness and loss in sleep are also some of the symptoms.
Today, mostly the young generation is much affected by hyperthyroidism resulting in excessive obesity.
Hypothyroidism is the reverse process in which there is decreased secretion of the Thyroxin hormone. Its characteristic symptoms are listed below:
- a) The heart rate becomes very low resulting in low cardiac output and a decrease in blood volume.
- b) Depressed growth of hair takes place and skin becomes scaly
- c) Excessive gain in weight, fatigue, muscular sluggishness, constipation.
- d) It also causes mental sluggishness resulting in oversleeping i.e. sleeping more than 12 hours a day.
Diabetes or Hyperglycemia is another hormone emanated disease that is related to the production and release of Insulin hormone that has a serious impact on our blood sugar levels. Its symptoms are increased thirst and hunger and frequency of urination increases too. If left untreated it can lead to further severe consequences –Diabetic ketoacidosis, nonketotic hyperosmolar coma, heart disease, heart stroke, chronic kidney failure, foot ulcers, etc.
Abnormalities of Adrenaline hormone can result in Mineralocorticoid deficiency leading to a decrease in sodium re-absorption in our body and consequently heavy loss in water in urine, which further extends to a loss in extracellular fluid volume.
Another Adrenaline related disorder is Glucocorticoid deficiency due to which a person suffers from Addison’s disease. In this, it is impossible for the person’s body to maintain normal blood glucose concentration between meals due to the insignificant synthesis of glucose. Addison’s disease results in:
- a) The self-destruction of cortices by body’s own immune system.
- b) A person is prone to Tuberculosis or is invaded by Cancer.
Cushing’s syndrome is mainly caused due to excess secretion of adrenaline by the adrenal cortex, which actually is a result of disorders in the Pituitary Gland.
Coming to the disorders of the Pituitary Gland which is mainly due to Pituitary Tumors that affect growth as well as major hormonal functions (as it is the master gland –regulates the functioning of all the other endocrine glands of our body).
The growth and development of children and teens (including the puberty process) are directly affected by the hormone regulations. When talking about hormone health, you need the correct information about different conditions and their respective treatments. The key to maintaining a healthy hormonal status in your body is to address the problems at an early stage before they aggravate into long-term issues.
By: Dr. Sushma Tiwary at Ayushmaanbhavah.com , Ahemdabad