Railways Budget was always an individual entity for last 92 year till 2016. Today, the legacy was broken by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today as the Railway was a part of Union Budget this time.
Below are the major highlights of the what Railway got from the Union Budget 2017-18:
- A significant rise of 22% in the budget for Railways.
- Jaitley announced creation of a Rail safety fund which has initial corpus of Rs 100,000 crore. This will created over the span of next 5 years.
- The tickets booked through IRCTC will be free from the service charge.
- Lifts and escalators for 500 stations for differently abled.
- To launch pilgrimage and tourism dedicated trains.
- A new policy related to Metro Rail; to focus on job creation for youth.
- 25 new train stations to get operationalize during 2017-18.
- Bio-toilets in all the coaches of the Indian Railways by 2019.
- Railways to partner with different institutions for end to end transport solutions for selected commodities.
- To eliminate unmanned railway level crossings by 2020.