For the second time, The Trump administration has declared that Iran is complying with the nuclear deal, but threatened more sanctions for breaching the “spirit” of the agreement.
The United States said Monday that Iran is continuing to comply with the terms of the nuclear deal that curbed Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson issued a similar critique earlier this year when the US certified the deal for the first time since President Donald Trump, a fierce critique of the deal.
In a shift from Trump’s campaign promise to “rip up” the “worst deal ever”, officials said that the administration was working with US allies to try to fix the agreement’s flaws, including the expiration of some nuclear restrictions after a decade or more.
Officials also said that the United States would slap new sanctions on Tehran, penalizing the Islamic Republic for developing ballistic missiles and for contributing to regional tensions.
The Trump administration is also exploring ways to strengthen enforcement of the deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, by working with allies to interpret its provisions more stringently, three senior administration officials said in a statement.
When Trump made the first certification in April, he paired it with new sanctions for non-nuclear behavior to show there was no softening in his stance towards Iran.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that Iran has received “contradictory signals” from the Trump administration and confirmed he has had no contact with his American counterpart, Rex Tillerson.