Virendra Singh is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Bhadohi in Uttar Pradesh. Virendra Singh is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Virendra Singh defeated his nearest rival Rakesh Dhar Tripathi from Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) by a margin of more than 1.5 lakh votes. Virendra Singh has a long political career and he has been associated with various organizations such as Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh, Swadeshi Jagran Manch, etc. All throughout his political career, Virendra Singh has focused on making agriculture a profitable option for farmers. He has also worked on various projects related to providing employment to rural youth, promoting sports among the youth and upliftment of tribal community.
Early Life and Education
Virendra Singh was born on October 21, 1956 to Shri Ramnath Singh and Smt. Draupadi Singh. He was born in a village named Dokati, which is located in Ballia district in Uttar Pradesh. Virendra Singh completed his Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) from Banaras Hindu University (B.H.U.). He married Renu Singh on June 19, 1981.
- 1988-1989: District President, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha
- 1989-1992: District President, Bharatiya Janata Party (B.J.P.)
- 1991: Elected to 10th Lok Sabha
- 1996-98: State President, Kisan Morcha (BJP)
- 1998: Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 2000-2004: State Coordinator, Swadeshi Jagran Manch
- May, 2014: Re-elected to 16th Lok Sabha (3rd term)
- 1 Sep. 2014 onwards: Member, Committee on Papers Laid on the Table; Member, Standing Committee on Agriculture; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
Virendra Singh has special interest in farming and dairy farming. In sports, he likes wrestling, horse riding and swimming.