We all want to lose weight and in this persuasion we tend to do the biggest mistake – starve ourselves thinking that no food means more weight and drop in present. It is true that depriving ourselves of food or having too little can make us lose weight, but only for a shorter time and can cause a plethora of problems in the long run.
It is unfortunate that many believe that in order to lose weight, we need to starve ourselves. And it is because we try to apply the same formula – eat more and you gain weight, so eat less or nothing and you lose weight. Our body needs food to perform its chore functionalities, and depriving it from the same or feeding it improperly brings negative consequences to our overall health.
Starving affects us both ways – mentally and physically and it has its own downsides like:
- Intermittent mood changes.
- Heightened levels of stress.
- Sore throat
- Continuous Headache
- Low Blood Pressure
- Vomiting and nausea
- Low periods in women
The dangers of starving
You can lose some weight by starving yourself, because you reduce your calorie intake, but at the same time it can invite several health issues like muscle loss, drop in hemoglobin levels, fatigue and more. Moreover, without the supply of food, the body goes into a conservation mode, and that propels slow metabolism and thus slow burning of calories. And, the worst, when you start eating normal again, you regain all the weight and maximum being fat.
- Muscle loss: it is not fair at all. You think that when you starve the body will lose fat, but the first thing it losses and you will notice also, is your muscle mass.
- A considerate amount of drop in energy: Your normal day to day activities will seem difficult. As with no or less food and conservation mode on, the metabolism rate lowers down and you start putting less efforts in everything that you do. The loss is steady and eventually it become almost impossible to continue.
- You develop eating disorder: There is nothing severe that developing eating disorder and starvation gifts you exactly the same.
- Malnutrition: Cutting down foods means cutting on the valuable nutrients that the body needs to function and survive efficiently. This leads to serious complications.
Starving is not a solution for weight loss. There are many other alternative and healthy alternatives. The best way to lose body fat and weight is by eating more of healthy and well balanced meals. This helps in the metabolism working and burning more calories. This way you will never feel hungry and won’t even eat more during meals or otherwise also.
Actually, it would be right to say that if you are really sure that you want to lose weight, you should never starve. Although it might sound counter intuitive, you actually need to eat to lose weight. Starving is not only bad for weight loss, but also bad for your overall health. The theory lies in the fact that that eat small, eat healthy and eat throughout the day and do workout. You will for sure lose weight.
By :Dietitian Sheela Seharawat