Bathing is a natural and indispensable part of our daily routines. A regular shower every day ensures that our skin is thoroughly cleansed, proper hygiene is maintained and there is the prevention of infections on our body.
There is no doubt about the fact that we often make some careless and mindless mistakes in our routine activities and one is choosing the right soap for ourselves. The main problem lies in the fact is that the normal soaps that are available in the market have pH levels between 9 to 11. This pH level is definitely not advisable for the skin and can even lead to numerous problems.
Another problem associated lies in the fact that we often use the soap kept in our washrooms. But this is a complete NO. We must always use a soap that suits our skin type.
Tips : how one must choose the right soap for themselves:
- Oily Skin:Sweating is a vital part during summers, which often leads to our skin being oily. This in turn, increases the greasiness on the skin. Therefore, it becomes very essential for you to choose the right soap as it shall ensure proper nourishment to your skin. One should use Antibacterial Soaps or specific Face Cleansers. Soaps containing Lavender, Chamomile and Thyme are very effective for oily skin.
- Dry Skin:During summers, we often incline to avoid venturing out under the scorching sun and prefer staying in an air-conditioned environment. The lesser known fact is that these air conditioners suck out the essential natural oils and leave the skin dried and dull. To fill up this gap, a proper soap shall be able to reinstate moisture content in the skin. Choose from natural soaps that contain Aloe Vera, Cocoa Butter, Avocado or Vegetable Oils.
- Combination Skin:Summers can be problematic for those who have an oily T-zone with the rest of the face being dry. People having combination skin must use products must also ensure that they choose the right product as per their skin type to maintain this balance. Glycerin-Based Soaps work the best for people with combination skin.
- Acne Prone Skin:Acne is a common problem nowadays. The frequent occurrence of breakouts and pimples can be very taxing. This, using the same soap can lead to its communication even with other people. Thus, it is important that people with acne prone skin use Anti-Acne Soaps available in the market. These are used mainly on the face, chest, and back where acne is more prevalent.
- Sensitive Skin:If your skin is sensitive and prone to infections, then medicated soaps are best for you. The medicated soaps avert and treat skin infections and can substantially reduce the problem. Soaps that contain Vitamin E and Jojoba Oil are good for skin disorders like Ichthyosis, Eczema, and Psoriasis.
By: Dr. Nivedita Dadu, Founder and Chairman, Dr. Nivedita Dadu’s Dermatology Clinic