The furniture in a room contributes a good deal to its ambience. It is one of the first things that catches the eye of visitors. However, it can also be easily soiled, especially if there are pets or kids in the house, or if the elders do not take adequate care. While cleaning and maintaining furniture might seem like a tedious chore, it is actually quite easy if you know the trick to doing it right. Furniture experts at Flipkart have compiled a list of trouble-free, do-it-yourself hacks that will help you get rid of annoying blemishes on your furniture and make it last longer, seemingly as good as new.
● Sofas: The most important and most used living room accessory needs special care. The stain-removal hack you can choose depends on the material of the sofa.
- Fabric Sofas: A couple of simple, non-expensive ingredients from your kitchen can give your tainted sofa a brand-new look. All you need is a mix of baking soda and vinegar to get rid of the stains and the dullness.
- Leatherette Sofas: Mix half a cup of olive oil with a quarter cup of vinegar and spray it on the surface of your leather couch. Then, buff with a clean cloth for an instant makeover.
● Dining and Coffee Tables: Water rings are a common occurrence on frequently used wooden surfaces. These include dining table-tops, coffee tables and side tables. To remove the water ring marks, mix equal parts vinegar and olive oil and apply it with a soft cloth to the spot. Take care to move with the wood grain. Use another clean, dry cloth to wipe up, afterwards.
● Dressing Table Mirror: Many of us often neglect to clean mirrors, as we seldom touch them during use. Over time, a mirror surface tends to attract a coat of dust and deposit minerals. The easiest way to clean it is with vinegar. Use a spray bottle to apply white vinegar to the glass and wipe it off with a lint-free rag. However, avoid spraying vinegar on a wooden frame.
● Scratched Solid Wood Surfaces: Solid wooden surfaces on the sides of the beds or storage units are susceptible to scratches as people and things move around the house. These scratches can be hidden with lemon juice and oil. Mix one part of each in a small dish and moisten a lint-free cloth with it. Rub the cloth firmly over the scratches until they are no longer noticeable.
● Engineered Wood Surfaces:
- Clean the surface regularly with a spotless, damp cloth.
- Use coasters or mats when placing anything hot, cold, or wet on the surface.
- Wipe spills and stains immediately with a clean, dry cloth.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight and temperature variations, as it may cause the colour of the wood to fade.
Moisture can cause veneer laminates to warp or bend. Try and prevent exposure of these surfaces to humidity changes.