The first among all other big festivals in India, Diwali celebration bears unique charm. Indians start preparing for this festival for weeks in advance, leading to delightful commemorations. This festival is celebrated with glitz and fervour while every nook and corner on this day is lit. People generally decorate their homes with earthen lamps, candles, lanterns and electric lights. Exquisite traditional decorations in Rangolis, accompanied by flower décor, make Diwali a special occasion. As an annual family fest, Diwali is an occasion to gather, exchange gifts, greet and meet up. The traditions associated with Diwali are centuries-old and have continued from one generation to another; however, the nuances of this fest show unique noteworthy changes. Gradually, the Diwali festival is also evolving in the light of trending social practices. Let’s have a look to see what the young generation has been adding to the eloquent festival of Diwali.
- Online festive sales are a big hit: The festivities further mark the beginning of enthusiastic participation from people towards expenditure and shopping activities. Ubiquity of mobile devices has allowed youth to join this bandwagon with leading e-commerce platforms such as Amazon and Flipkart running grand sales campaigns during this period. This year has already seen these platforms achieving record-breaking numbers.
- Going beyond sharing images and videos on social media: Sharing images of lavishly decorated homes, rangolis, family get-togethers on social platforms need no call out. However, the new variant of social media apps such as Likee, are stepping up to make Diwali celebrations more fun for internet users. To encourage unique engagement, Likee is going to introduce a campaign wherein users can challenge their friends to guess the gifts the users wish to receive on Diwali. What a fun way to celebrate with friends!
- Fun doubles with destination celebration: People also like to go a step further in celebrating this annual festival of lights by flying to remote destinations and having a fest in their ways. Amid this, special travel packages are being curated that caters to discerning demands of youth. The trend is picking up pace as the young generation increasingly opts to club Diwali celebrations with family get-away plans.
- Diwali spells party: It is said – Work hard, party harder. When it’s Diwali, plans for party deserve a grand roll-out. These days, starting from the work environment to residential societies, Diwali parties are organized with much gusto, and the grandeur is praiseworthy. These parties often are theme-based, and people usually compete in events such as traditional dances and rangoli competitions.
- Celebration with a social twist: Today’s generation stands far more aware about social causes. People have become conscious about their buying choices and are selective about purchasing traditional handmade diyas from road-side sellers in generous numbers. This has, in turn, provided an opportunity to small-time sellers to showcase their talent and earn as well, especially during the festive season.