In-Vitro Fertilization is a series of procedures to stimulate artificial pregnancy in a female by extracting eggs, sperm samples followed by combining the eggs and sperm in a dish in the laboratory. The so diffused embryo is then transferred into the uterus of the female. It is highly advisable to consult only the best IVF doctor in Delhi or any other place you’re residing in so that you are made aware of all the plausible risks and effects involved in the procedure.
IVF aims to solve the following causes of infertility:
- Lower sperm count
- Fallopian Tubes and their blockage or rupture
- Ovarian dysfunctionality
- Low egg quality
- Lack of ability of the sperm to penetrate or survive in the mucus of the cervix
- Genetic disease
- Any other unexplained fertility issues.
Risks and side-effects involved in IVF, are circling the below-mentioned areas
- Side-effects of the Medication: The drugs prescribed for ovarian stimulation are in the form of injections and as such might have some mild side effects on some women. The side effects include headaches, constipation, mood swings, and sore or bruised site of the injection. A more complicated side effect being OHSS, Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation Syndrome, which happens when there is an excess of follicle production by the ovaries resulting in a leakage of fluid into the lungs and abdominal cavity, from the blood vessels. In most cases, OHSS is resolved without any heavy or extra treatment. However, in very few of the crucial cases, it can ultimately lead to enlarged ovaries giving way to dehydration and therefore, a huge amount of liquid in both the lungs and abdomen. It is for this reason that fertility specialist doctors request frequent monitoring of the process and alter/ moderate the dosage of the medication if they see any potential trouble.
- Egg Retrieval: The next step is egg retrieval, which should be performed with unmatched precision and care. The women are asked to donate eggs for the process post 10-14 days of their menstrual cycle, which is a procedure for which they are partially or fully sedated. The eggs are retrieved using a thin needle that is inserted inside the ovary, with a suction cap sort of thing at the beginning to catch eggs. The females might feel slight discomfort or pinch in the process and afterward. In some extremely rare cases, there might exist a heavy flow of blood from the ovaries or nearby organs like bladder, bowel, or blood vessels. In situations of severe injury, surgery, or blood transfusions are immediately needed
- Maternal Age:While IVF is the best solution for conceiving, for the people suffering from infertility issues, it is rather risky for women of age. Women of an age exceeding 40 years, can have a higher risk of miscarriages and birth defects.
- Miscarriage and Ectopic Pregnancy:Miscarriage is a potential risk for women undergoing natural pregnancy, as much as it is for women having IVF. Risk surely increases with age. Ectopic pregnancy, however, is a bigger and more potential risk that can even prove to be fatal. It happens when the embryos are falsely implanted in the fallopian tubes, instead of the ovaries and it is an extremely dangerous medical emergency that requires immediate treatment to end the pregnancy then and there. The symptoms involve vaginal bleeding, excruciating pain that can be sharp, dizziness, back pain in the lower, and low blood pressure – consult a medical specialist immediately.
All the above-mentioned risks are comparatively a lot lesser as compared to the happiness that every couple feels when they conceive. Choose only the best IVF centre in Delhi or any other place you are residing in and you will minimize the risk of any danger to your baby, to a bare minimum.