Kale Chane or Black Gram is a power packed superfood. This nutritious and tasty recipe will keep you in good stead during the rainy season.
Serves: 4 | Total time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for the batter:
- 1 cup Besan or gram flour
- 2/3 cup or as required water
- 2 teaspoon mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 Green chilli finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh Coriander finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt as per taste
For the fritter- Black gram 1 cup, 1 small onion – chopped
- Soak the kala chana for minimum 4-5 hours, then pressure cook it with a pinch of salt, for one or two whistles.
- Then drain it completely, with the help of colander. Let it cool off for 15- 20 minutes,
- To prepare the besan batter, in a big bowl, add besan and salt, now add little water at a time, while whisking, to make a batter of medium or coating consistency.
- Now we will temper the batter and for that heat mustard oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, sauté everything for 1-2 minutes and add to the besan batter. Mix well. Check the seasoning. The batter is ready.
- Add the cooled kala chana to besan batter, along with chopped onions, mix well.
- Heat oil in deep frying pan, now with the help of two spoons or fingers, add the batter in small, small quantities to the oil. Fry till golden brown. Take out in a tissue paper, and sprinkle some chaat masala.
The crackling hot and crispy ham baskets, gol gappas, and pakodas are best enjoyed with a steaming hot cup of masala tea. Surprise your loved ones with the delectable Gobindbhog Kichuri for dinner. This monsoon, create beautiful culinary memories with our eclectic recipes full of great taste and loads of nutrition.
By Chef Pallavi Nigam