Rajnath Singh is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Lucknow in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Rajnath Singh is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and a senior leader in the party with an active political career spanning more than 4 decades. In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Rajnath Singh defeated his nearest rival Rita Bahuguna Joshi from the Indian National Congress (INC) by a margin of more than 2,70,000 votes. Rajnath Singh shares a rich political history and he had early beginnings, when, during his student life, he started working as an active RSS member.
Early Life and Education
Rajnath Singh was born on July 10, 1951 to Shri Ram Badan Singh and Smt. Gujrati Devi. He was born in Village Bhabhora, which is located in Chandauli district of Uttar Pradesh. He completed his education M.Sc. (Physics) from Gorakhpur University. Later, he married Savitri Singh. Rajnath Singh used to work as a lecturer of Physics at K.B. Post-Graduate College Mirzapur, UP.
- 1977-1980 and 2001-2003: Member, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly (Three Terms)
- 1988-1993: Member, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council
- 1991-1992: Minister, Education, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- 1994-1999: Elected to Rajya Sabha
- 1999-2000: Union Cabinet Minister, Surface Transport, Govt. of India
- 2000-2002: Chief Minister, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- 2003-2004: Union Cabinet Minister, Agriculture, Govt. of India
- 2003-2008: Re-elected to Rajya Sabha (2nd term)
- 2009: Elected to 15th Lok Sabha
- 7 Oct. 2009: Member, Committee on Ethics
- May, 2014: Re-elected to 16th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 27 May 2014 onwards: Union Cabinet Minister, Home Affairs
- 8 Oct. 2014: Member, Committee on Installation of Portraits/Statues of National Leaders and Parliamentarians in Parliament House Complex
Rajnath Singh is committed to a wide variety of social welfare programs.