This wholesome and delicious recipe takes the classic tomato soup and kicks it up a few notches with the richness of cream and parmesan made using California walnuts. Plus, it’s vegan-friendly!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 chopped cup onion
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 can crushed tomatoes
Pepper to taste
2/3 cup California walnut cream
3 tablespoons fresh basil
California walnut Parmesan crumbles
- Heat oil In a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add vegetable stock, salt, sugar, and tomatoes; cover and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Season with pepper.
3. Add basil and puree with a stick blender until very smooth.
4. Stir in walnut cream and garnish with additional basil and Shaved Walnut Parmesan.
*For California walnut cream, puree 2 cups walnuts and a cup of water in a blender or food processor until very smooth and light and fluffy. Cover and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
* For California walnut Parmesan crumbles toss ½ cup walnuts in 2 teaspoons of olive oil, then sprinkle with 1 ½ tablespoon nutritional yeast and salt in a small bowl. Freeze for 30 minutes and chop them coarsely.
BY: – Chef Sabyasachi Gorai