• Split Bengal gram (chana dal) 1 1/4 cups
• Jaggery (gur) grated 1 1/2 cups
• Saffron (kesar) a pinch
• Green cardamom powder 1/4 teaspoon
• Nutmeg powder a pinch FOR THE DOUGH
• Refined flour (maida) 1 1/2 cups
• Salt a pinch • Pure ghee 1/2 cup
1. Wash and boil chana dal. Drain and coarsely grind it. In a pan add the dal, grated jaggery, saffron, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder and mix well.
2. Cook, stirring all the time till dry. It should resemble a soft ball. Remove and cool. Divide the stuffing into sixteen to twenty equal portions and roll into balls.
3. Mix maida and salt. Add three tablespoons of ghee and sufficient water to make a soft dough. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside for one hour.
4. Divide dough into sixteen to twenty equal portions and roll into balls. Flatten each ball in your palm, stuff with one portion of puran (stuffing), cover and seal the edges.
5. Dust it with flour and roll out into four to five inches diameter disk of medium thickness. Heat a tawa and cook puran poli until done on both sides.
6. Remove. Serve hot with generous helping of pure ghee on it and cold milk.
BY: Chef Lokesh Jarodia, Executive Chef, The Deltin, Daman